Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Eat Like a "Normal Person"

My least favorite statement is "You're not supposed to be eating that."
As I continue to chow down on my piece of candy, cake, ice cream; etc. I think what my life would be like if I never ate that item again- considering I have to assume that I'm going to have diabetes forever. A lifetime without oreos or birthday cake? Sounds like mental pain to me. I learned from the moment I was diagnosed and from every nutritionist I met with after that treats are ok to have on occassion we just have make them fit into our daily carbs.

 When I was firsy diagnosed, my doctor told me that sweets were off limits. This made holidays, like Halloween, taboo subjects for me as a child. I was unable to have birthday cake at my friend's parties and candy rewards that my teachers gave to all the students who answered a question correctly. They wanted me to weight my food, which made cooking at home a complete and utter chore, and I was always embarassed if we had company and we had to whip out the scale. Enlightenment came once I was able to switch my diabetes care to a different doctor, who actually has diabetes and has been there. I was surprised to find out the she was completely appalled by the whole "deprivation" thing.

"Kids eat sweets and that's ok... Everyone is allowed a treat every once in a while... Eat like a normal person should eat."

I'm not normal though. I have diabetes.

The more I was educated in "Normal Eating," the more I understood that food consumption everywhere is not normal and not healthy for anyone... Let alone me. It's really easy and really hard at the same time to eat the right amount of carbs depending on what I cook or where  I dine out. The thing I took most to heart was that I didn't have to be left out of birthday parties or ice cream runs with my friends. I just had to plan for it and take insulin for everything I decided to eat. It brought me closer to normal, which is what we all want as people with diabetes.

So I just let the people that want to deprive me believe I'm a "bad diabetic."
I know this banana nut bread was warranted for today.

Consider Me Sweet and I'll do the Same for You

No comments:

Post a Comment